Sunday, June 28, 2009

Sewing Adventures

I inherited some furniture from my very gracious parents in order to properly furnish my apartment 2 years ago. 2 years ago when I moved, the furniture was 15 years old. Now it was in style at some point I'm sure, but navy blue, forest green and burgundy plaid overstuffed couches are just not my style. Don't exactly fit with my decor. Therefore, 2 years ago I bought some really cool brown slipcovers in an effort to modernize them. However, despite my many efforts and constant tucking and tugging, these slipcovers... well, they slip alright. Covering is another issue entirely. One that these particular covers struggle with.

So now it's up to me to improvise! My roommate and I went fabric shopping with my mom, and found some really funky fabrics that we can use to cover the couch cushions and ottoman. I got ambitious the other day and made the ottoman cover.


The couches will stay "covered" (as best they can) with the brown slipcovers. However, the seat cushions will have slipcovers made of a coordinating striped fabric.



This picture has better picture quality for a more realistic color sampling. Both fabrics have the same shades of red, green, orange and brown. There are various shades of tan, blue and turquoise as well. I'll be excited to see it all put together!