Friday, March 6, 2009

A Lenten fast

For the last few years as I began my walk with Christ, I have chosen to give up something for Lent each year. Though this is a traditionally Catholic celebration (or holiday?), I have made it personal between me and God. 40 day fasts are very biblical, traced all the way back to Moses on the mount. I have taken it more seriously, as well. I discipline myself with my choice to fast from something that will grow me. It's not something simple, it's something I choose to trust God to provide. Because I don't struggle with a chocolate addiction, and because the television doesn't cause me to stumble, I don't choose these fasts for my fate. One year I was a vegetarian over Lent, one year I gave up facebook -- it's been quite diverse.

This year, with Lent fast approaching about mid-February, I began praying over what I would sacrifice for Lent. It was a particularly hard decision, as I knew I would face a bit of dissent (as Lent is a "made-up" holiday). However, when better to fast than the 40 days before Jesus first comes? After all, we are fasting over his return!

So, as if from God, I logged on to Facebook one day and had been invited to join a group called "40 days of water". Though this ministry was choosing to fast for 40 days, it didn't coincide exactly with Lent. As I read more about it I decided it was the best option I had for fasting.

For this particular fast, I (and the other participants) are choosing to drink only water and no other beverages. It does not limit food intake -- but when it comes to drinking, only water. Also, this fast is two-fold. All the money you save by drinking only water (a.k.a. the money you don't spend on pop, coffee, or for some alcohol), you donate to Blood:Water Missions. It serves Africans with clean water for the treatment and prevention of AIDS. For $1, one person can be provided with clean water for an ENTIRE YEAR! I am so excited to continue with this fast, because this ministry is so important to me, especially after just going to Haiti. People who can't help themselves need the Lord more than anything, and if this ministry of clean water and prevention of deadly viruses helps even 1 person, it is so worth it! Psalm 9:17-18.

Though none of you may choose to participate in this 40 day fast, if you'd like to contribute, even 3 days, or 1 week -- it would be amazing! At the end of Lent I'm going to send all the money that I've saved in, and if you would like to pray for this ministry, or join me temporarily I would love more accountability and fellowship through this fast! Matthew 6:16. Link

No comments: