Sunday, November 2, 2008

Movies

I'm really tired of watching movies. All the time. We watch movies. It's not fun. I'm pretty picky about movies. I usually fall asleep. That's not true: I always fall asleep. Nobody talks. Everybody's silent. Staring at the TV. Some movies are worth it. Most aren't. Sometimes I'm in the mood. Even then I'd obviously rather sleep. Movies are about as exciting as this paragraph was to read.
Here are a few reasons why I am not any longer going to choose to watch movies with large groups of people at night:
  • I can use my time much more wisely. I love cultivating friendships. I love talking, and I love listening. These things are eliminated as options when a movie is turned on. It gets dark and silent.
  • It wastes time actually deciding on a movie. If watching a movie was an event, and there was a particular movie many people had been talking about watching, I could and would make an exception. However, people can't agree quickly enough to make it worth the time it takes to choose a movie.
  • If my life is so boring that I have to watch the TV for two or so hours about somebody else's made up life, then I should be attempting to make life more exciting than just being complacent. After all, complacency is sinful, right?
  • Most movies don't glorify God. Sometimes a psychological thriller is fun to watch because it's intellectually stimulating. But usually they're scary or gory. I don't like to wonder what could happen if that murderer had broken into my house. Also, movies are generally filled with cursing, drinking, smoking, nudity, sex, divorce, adultery and other socially acceptable sins of sloth, greed and lust.
  • Girls hearts are fragile enough without chick flicks to add to the list. I was perfectly content the other day until I turned "The Notebook" on. This used to be my favorite movie, but now Satan uses it to drag me back into woeful sorrows of my singlehood. I appreciate my life, so why would I want to watch something that is fake and untrue that is going to drag me backwards away from Christ?
  • Playing games is apparently underrated now. It's a social event that can include any number of people and can last for a determined and finite amount of time. We can play for 30 minutes with 4 people, 3 hours with 12 people, 45 minutes with 10 people.. so many combinations! We could play Mao, Spades, Rook, Settlers, Ride that Train, Onze, 123, Speed, Egyptian Rat Screw, Presidents.. it makes me excited to think about it.
In case you didn't get it, you shouldn't ask me to watch a movie any time soon. You shouldn't ask me to go to a movie. You shouldn't suggest we watch one, you shouldn't try to convince me. It's not going to work.

1 comment:

Jessie said...

Come over to our house and Joe and I will teach you the best card game ever! And there will be no movies :)